Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Happily Ever After: Anne Hathaway


Sharing from Vogue.com

From 'The Princess Diaries', Anne Hathaway was my friend growing up.  Suddenly I realize she's 28, and I'm 19, and the age difference is huge.  But she has always visualized for me the clumsy, awkward, uncomfortable but genuinely trying to fit into the big wide world little girl I feel inside.  And now she's growing into her own, finding a major role in modern civility that I do not yet understand.  But I can still remember our friendship, and I can still feel some sense of connection to her, if not her life.

I can  imagine myself many years down the line saying, or thinking: even as I browsed through photography and fashion magazines, I still had my biology problems in front of me, and my scientific blogs.  I wasn't going to let myself be too distracted.

Vogue is a gorgeous, gorgeous magazine.  I never paid much attention to it because it was a giant in the world of fashion, a subject I vowed never to involve myself in order to avoid entanglement with consumerism and rigid persona.  I didn't want to admire anything placed on a pedestal.  But these stories from women whom I've admired for their beauty on the big screens are unexpectedly inspiring: Anne Hathaway was determined at a young age to act, and now finds herself growing into womanhood;  Carey Mulligan rejects the fast-paced life of Hollywood accomplishments and ease her way into characters with perfect grace and a poignancy I wished I felt towards my work;  Halle Berry faces her diabetes with frank determination and cultivates a strong garden of friends;  ___, the princess of ___, is multi-talented, refined,  .  Fame has an interesting way of placing huge pressures on a person, and each woman has a story to tell about how she faced the world.  I can take these stories for myself during quiet hours as inspiration for life, especially since many of modern actors nowadays must be as driven, ambitious, intelligent and hard workers as any Ivy League students to aspire to where they are now.  For students too there exists a dime-a-dozen imagery that we must break if we want to consider ourselves accomplished and influential.  But Hollywood requires artists to invent a new image and personality, whereas institutions of education demand new ideas behind which personality is lost.

Simply put, I admire theatrical people for their intense individuality and wished I was not suited for a work that hides me behind walls of information.  I am reminded that somehow, someway within this scientific world I must keep myself from mechanization.


(honestly, I was browsing through hipster dyke blogs)

No comments:

Post a Comment