It's strange to think that I could be bored yet interested at the same time, but there I was in Bio41, interested in the material but bored out of my mind listening to lectures and picking multiple choice. A, B, C, D or E, and the only way to make it interesting was to visualize the molecules inside my head, a task that took up brain space and is too slow a method to learn. I want to take this physiology class because I need a chance to do science. I was an artist before I came to Stanford and stopped because I felt I could make more meaningful contributions in science. But I still need to do things with my hands, and sitting in theoretical class after theoretical class is driving me nuts. Drawing arrows pushing electrons around was slightly better than learning enzymes, but otherwise chemistry drains me. In fact, I am drafting this essay to avoid chewing over biology facts for the final.
(somewhere at 1:23am I find inspiration for good writing)
(The interesting thing about applying for something - anything - is that you must not be entirely truthful. You have to selectively accentuate the things that they want to hear, and things that they might have never heard before. When it all boils down, your most central motivation to do anything simply because you want to, or need to. Essays full of wants and needs are often rejected, but if you could entertain the reader in your writing, they will find you an interesting person and, almost in spite of your capabilities, want to meet and work with you. Qualifications for science is sometimes not as important as the interesting-ness of you as a person.
This is all in the theoretical - I'll let you know if things work out the way I predict.)
No comments:
Post a Comment