Monday, November 15, 2010

Just a shirt...but a Cool shirt

I keep surprising myself, and not entirely in a good way.  This weekend was not a productive one, and I could blame it on Thanksgiving Break fast approaching, but more likely I blame my constant swings.  Nowadays in my life there are moments when I'm intensely productive, and I'm whopping out chemical reactions after biology problem sets, review sheets after review sheets.  But there are also plenty of days like today when I'm frustrated with the work, bored enough to blast my brains out if I have to sit and listen to one more lecture, and distracted by new thoughts I've never considered before.  Girls, art and movies are usual topics, but surprisingly tonight the distraction is fashion.

Maybe it's the continual desire to express myself and be creative outside of the monotonous scientific learning, but every day I am increasingly aware of how /boring/ I am.  There's no doubt that I've plenty of intriquing factors in my personality to make me stand separate from the world around me, and it's not even the fortunate difference that creates the hipster genre.  Just let this blog be the personification of who I am.  It's varied, intensive, deep, and a slightly different view, but hopeful, and hopefully good.  I try to discuss things that people normally overlook or don't think about, and stay away from over-discussed topics since I can rarely provide new input once a crowd has converged on the topic.  But who I am on the outside is somehow entirely ordinary and plain.  Do I think myself a tropical island, pristinely preserved yet hidden to all but a select few?  That's not pretencious at all!

At school I find myself surrounded by wonderful and wildly talented inviduals, and I want to connect with them but I don't know how to make the words flow.  So I wondered, since I am no longer expressing myself artistically, if what I wear can invite people to start asking questions so that I can speak.  I'm not a great conversationalist, so even then my answers won't be great, but perhaps if people subconsciously noticed me (is that an oxymoron?), it could make things a little easier.

As a general rule I wear clothes that are one size too large.  I adore the girl-in-man's shirt look, but now I think that's just my sexual subconscious speaking.  An uncannily perceptive friend suggested I started scrap-booking clothing I liked, so after tossing tuxedos at her for a while, I got better at searching. (But I still couldn't help looking at them.)

Start off with something I already occasionally do, but the choices are better fitting and designs more patterned.  Ditch the flowers, but the look is clean with little details I appreciate (gold buckles, anyone?)

Standard meals for me are button down collared shirts, so I'm looking for ways to spice these up a little.

I told my friend I wanted a look that was, for the most part, ordinary.  But if you looked closer, there was something different, a little bit of a flare that made you think there's a lot of interesting in this girl.  I think Ellen Page pulls that off well.  She spices up a t-shirt and jeans with a sleeveless coat-thingy that is undoubtedly stylish, cut from the same cloth as formal-wear yet works with a simple shirt.
And she rolls out this style often.
http://gallery.ellen-page.net/displayimage.php?album=500&pos=11
http://gallery.ellen-page.net/displayimage.php?album=289&pos=0
http://gallery.ellen-page.net/displayimage.php?album=467&pos=10
http://gallery.ellen-page.net/displayimage.php?album=1640&pos=0

This is just a cool idea.

There are shirts that are just...well, shirts.  But then you blink and realize wait, it's a cool shirt.
http://ellenpagesource.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=327&pos=0
http://gallery.ellen-page.net/displayimage.php?album=337&pos=0
The sleeves are worth it, I swear!
http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Ellen-ellen-page-533768_800_1200.jpg

Hoodies count too.

And when I realized I adore this hat, I also remembered that my friend already got me one years ago.  That's how scarily perceptive she is.

My goal, however, is not to look as though I come from the street, or look as though I'm ready to go clubbing.  I find the general majority of 'fashionable' street clothes belong to one group or the other, but I want the line in-between leaning towards conservative, more 'mature' styles.

Some take away notes:
- Ellen Page is awesome
- Kristen Stewart doesn't need to dress up: she just needs to look at me and I shudder
- When I was done with street clothes on actors I knew, I went over to Vogue and realized everything there was beautiful, refined.  And then I went, "Oh crap," as I thought I might have finally started to understand high fashion.  Just wait until I understand Lady Gaga; then my world really will be turned upside down!

No comments:

Post a Comment