Friday, October 8, 2010

Lights in Lyon

Back in high school I was briefly a lighting designer, and for much longer than that I was a lighting technician.  It was not a poor man's game (though strangely enough, theatricality is a poor man's job), and I've always been so amazed at how much money it takes to put together a good lighting plot.  Even with the huge warehouse of supplies that my theatre had (the high school's newly built auditorium was sponsored by the city, in return for use in some of its public functions), I felt constrained and my lighting plots were never bright enough, as I've had to trade some intensity for variety.

But will Stanford's theatre budget be greater than what I worked with?  I hope so.  There are talks about creating a lighting design on some of the campus's buildings for Arts week in spring quarter.  The arts have been pretty alive this year, one of my favorite newness is the donated piano sitting in the middle of the quad for anyone to play.  It's so lovely to bike to and from class catching music in the air.  I hope this project goes through, because there are some amazing creative talents on campus who would be able to pull together something amazing.


More, after the cut!


Could I have this for my room?

[images from Shameless Words]

No comments:

Post a Comment