Thursday, October 7, 2010

Bloodhound

I stayed up all night reading Bloodhound, and finished it this morning.  It was good, and reminded me of my early years.  I first found Tamora Pierce at my local library in middle school, and have grown up with her since.  I suppose I'm lucky that she writes so much, though since then I've added more writers to my belt.  It's nice when you're old enough to realize that you'll always have something new to read, if ever you took the time to do so!

I've read all of her major works up to date by finishing Bloodhound, and by now I have a pretty good understanding of her writing style.  It hasn't changed much.  Even though the adventures are lengthier, more detailed, more adult and physically more massive, I'm disappointed to find the plot still predictable.  Did I expect the heroine to do anything less than nab the main antagonist single-handedly, immediately after being dismissed as incapable?  Has that not happened in every one of her books?  In statistics, we determine that a distribution of data does not change through additive transformations; only multiplicative.  She explores new writing styles, and creates larger cities with increasing details, yet the meat of the story, and its messages, are unchanging.

Although, I am disappointed that each heroine goes farther with her sweetheart than the last, each more affected by a boy-man than the last.  Alanna's relationship with Jon was the best, but I may have to read it again and groan at every place the girl's thoughts wander to memories of soft kisses and intruding fingers.



Perhaps, unknowingly, a great majority of her themes and ideals have worked their way into my life.  I value the idea of a steady, blunt relationship forged between two people who have fought side-by-side.  They establish a trust that allows each to serve their own purpose, yet a strong loyalty needed to pull two souls back to the other regardless of distances.  They are not mere lovers, but merged souls in separate bodies.  Doubtless the strong central female figures, shy of crowds and prone to passionate angers, have worked their way into my psyche.  They are practical, no-nonsense, folks with deep connections to animals!  Her world and stories have always reminded me to live a simple life, to do good in the work you're meant for, and to learn from outcasts.  Then at the end of the day, no matter how famous you are (so long as you're not royalty,) you're inclined to the humility of every day life, and be thankful it doesn't get any more interesting!

Only after you've had a dashing adventure though, otherwise you should be itching to go out and do something with yourself, usually involving a weapon or magic.

I want it to be the weekend already so that I can be alone.  It's been a long, trying week, and I haven't taken as many notes in class as I usually do, too bored out of my mind to be motivated.  Briefly I had wondered why higher education like this was necessary when few of the subjects I take interest me anymore.  Is not life better lived by the grand adventures like the books?  Wouldn't it be more gratifying to be tromping around in the woods practicing survival and fighting skills?  I could never be a fighter, but I might make a good explorer yet.

In any case, I'm not sure such dreams are realistic, and I have some darn obligation to a society to which I'm always an outsider by choice, because the idea of society doesn't suit me.  I'll always choose to stand on the outside ring, looking in, watching out for dangers if I cared about the people inside.  But it's good that there are societies, because people need them, and I couldn't play my observant role if they didn't exist.

.--.      .-'.      .--.      .--.      .--.      .--.      .`-.      .-
:::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\::::::::.\::::::
'      `--'      `.-'      `--'      `--'      `--'      `-.'      `--' 

Here's today's agenda.  Let's see how much of it gets done:
- finish stats pset2
- walk to the post office, print: physics pset3, stats lecture 6, physics friday lecture?  bio friday lecture, bio practice midterm, physics practice midterm
- read: stats chapter 5, chapters 1-3 of R (coursework/materials) (print this, too)
- grab coffee for stats lecture
- do bio practice midterm and prepare questions for bio review
- work on chem pset3
- bio review session
- chem office hours
- finish bio online pset2 before bed

P.S. I like this music place: One Hour Compos.  There's a different theme every week, so there will always be new music.

No comments:

Post a Comment