There's an interesting thing that happens to my physiology when I pull an all-nighter. I'm determined to abuse this weekend to study for my physics and biology midterm, so I've been up since 8am (three more hours, and it'll have been 24 hours). Granted, about 50% of the time was productive, but rather than sleeping I entertained myself with Youtube and such. My heart is beating heavier, perhaps slightly faster, and there's a slight burning in my chest that makes me think I'm loosing resources. But what's actually missing besides sleep? I'm fed, hydrated, and walking periodically. The room is nice and warm, not chilled. I've been going on winds after winds, but I'm motivated because I don't have class tomorrow, and I don't have to sit uncomfortably paying attention to people. I can just study.
I know my brain is in no shape to synthesize anything. I'm only staying up to finish flashcards for all the materials covered in this midterm, so I'm only studying, repeating the facts in my mind and doing the dog-ish part of the work. I might be able to work on PS3 before sleep this morning, but we'll see. Later today I will take a practice Bio midterm and finish the PS3, as well as flip through the cards I have. Tonight I should spend making physics cards.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Bed at 6am and woke up for shower and lunch at noon. I don't think my body likes being pushed to stay up for 22 hours without sleep. This morning my chest feels constricted and my hands are weak - it's a little hard to hold my flash cards and go through them, but I can type and I think I can write with support. I want at least 12 hours of work before I go back to sleep. It's like running long distance. It hurts for the first 15 minutes or so, but then your body enters this deep breathing stage where there's a dull ache in your chest, but you don't think of quitting. You'll just keep going on and on. I had something like that last night, but this morning it's a little harder. I might start thinking of my rest as a matter of how many hours I work, and how many hours I sleep, rather than what hour of the day it is. But if you've been sleeping between 10pm and 6am all your life, sleeping during 6am and noon feels a little strange.
No comments:
Post a Comment