What if people would start singing love songs about homosexual couples? I mean, love songs about straight couples are everywhere, and every time I watch one, I find myself re-analyzing the same-old gender roles, gender biases and all that feminism jazz. Would it be that hard to sing about a love between two people of the same gender? Someone should write a song about that time when you first laid eyes on someone of a gender you've never considered before, and your heart flutters and you don't know what to do about it. Someone should write a song about a girl who parties with her boys then comes home to the girlfriend reading in bed, waiting up because she wasn't the party type. And they should do it in all the possible genre and make it as dance-able, sweet, classy and popular as possible, so that kids of the future generations will know that homosexual love is common and not taboo. I'm so tired of queer themes showing up on the drunken shots by straight people experimenting. No, Katie Perry, I don't care that you liked kissing girls because you're still some guy's teenage dream (but great job on "Fireworks"). And no, Enrique Iglesias, you don't get to watch. Thank you, Bruno Mars, men should definitely learn from you - I just wished you had a woman counterpart. These are some of the top hits today, and I really want some queer people to be there.
I'm tired of queer music being limited to the angry, bitter genre of indie like Tegan and Sarah (this is not a criticism, they're great, but they seem to belong to their own genre), or hidden beneath layers screaming for equality and acceptance. A pro-prop 8 mother once told me that she has nothing against queer people, but as a religious woman she doesn't like that they're trying to change the Bible. So if people have nothing against the gay love (and I mean beyond the sex), why aren't we screaming it from the rooftops? Why does the word 'queer' bring to mind only the anger, not the love we're fighting for?
Thank you, Ricky Martin. You're perfect, just the way you are. (can we clone you and put one of you in ever gender and genre?)
Some time ago I read an article on how the revolution of the pink ribbon has gone on for too long, that people are spending more time celebrating the cause than actually finding a cure. The article ends with (and I paraphrase), "Maybe it's time to stop calling for a cure and find one."
Maybe it's time to stop screaming for our rights at the ignorant people and start expressing our love in the media. Stop waiting for straight singers like Lady Gaga and Cher to sing for us. What if we could express ourselves without asking for acceptance, and whether or not it will be accepted, just be? I know some of you queer folks out there can sing and can write lyrics, and I really need some of you to come up with a good beat and smooth lyrics. Some people might die on that stage, but then, some people die at the pickets, too
P.S. I do miss SSQL, though I was never one for the rally. Maybe this comes from an entire weekend studying to all these really catchy pop songs and, in the end, realizing that queers are left out of the fairy tale.
No comments:
Post a Comment