Wednesday, August 18, 2010

August Breeding Season

I don't, as a general rule, talk about Felishorns.  How can I ever find the words to describe an entire world?  Other creators have managed only by writing books.  No blog, no conversation, no pantomime could equally describe what is meant to be a visual and emotional experience.

I've been back for two years now and it was high time we had another breeding season.  Jean and I started planning weeks in advance, the August due date having been set months ago.  I had spent the better part of the summer working on templating the kits, sketching the celestials and deamonis, and trying to get those templated, too, if time permitted.  There were some bumpy spots, some lines that came out less than satisfactory, and then there were also the ones that just drew themselves.  I love art when it comes that way.  Sometime, when I put a pen to tablet or brush to canvas, I can't remember what happens in the next six hours or so, but when I was finished, a beautiful creature looks back at me.

colored by Kur
Ain't she cute?



We have a new and very talented colorist on the team, Wren.  She got her degree in airbrushing, and worked as a freelance artist for many years before contacting Jean and I for a position on the team.  I ran her through some tests and she passed with flying colors - literally.  Her work this breeding season more than confirmed my choice in this un-planned employment.

Father, colored by Wren.

Mother, colored by me.
Female felimantia kit, colored by Wren.
Female felimantia, colored by Wren.
Such an astounding mastery over color and composition.  My own coloring hardly comes close to her skill level.

Female celestial kit, colored by me.

Female deamonis kit, colored by me.
Perhaps what Wren puts in color composition I put in details.  I know I am always proudest looking back over my most intricate works.  It probably reflects who I am - complicated and nuanced, striving to be beautiful.

Here are some more beauties this season, by the rest of my talented crew.

Kur
Silverfoxkit

Mystaya

Mystaya

Kur

Mystaya

Silverfoxkit

No comments:

Post a Comment