Thursday, March 18, 2010

Angels in America

"nothing unknown is knowable"

Finals are over and I finally have the chance to sit down and get my life back in order again. I have a feeling this is how things will be for the next four years, maybe more. Every quarter starts out with hopefully a sense of control and order, then slowly entropy into a scatterbrain mess. Perhaps an intellectual's scatterbrain, since that's the feeling of being deeply entrenched in your work that everything else fades away and falls to chaos, but a mess nonetheless. But today I had a chance to rent some movies from the library: The Queen and Angels in America.

I've started watching the second one with Lina and Sceth today. It's six hours long, and we've been through two hours! The characters are truly society-considered maniacs, but there's something so real about them. It's as though you've taken the inside person and expressed them explicitly on the outside. It's a relief to see these feelings that go on underneath the skin come out of their mouths, a relief to see people not hiding their thoughts and feelings, but laying everything out on the table. I understand there can be meaning in hiding the truths, but I also feel that we are more able to tackle the problem when everything is laid out on the table.

Need to sleep now, but we're going to keep watching it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment