This Christmas has been a success.
Although mass was stuffy and cramped as it always has been, dinner was a two-hour event that encompasses three new dishes and an ever-comforting wong tong soup. Spicy Singapore crab left an impression, but none unbearable, and which I preferred over the beef.
Now, the presents were glorious, and everybody outdid themselves. Father got Mother a tree-branch cutter that looks suspiciously like a machete; he confided in me his plan to test Mother's love and the strength of their long marriage against her occasional bouts of anger. Mother got Father and me a gift card to Starbucks ($20!) since we went there so often. All I had to do was mention the $100 for quarterly piano lessons, and a check arrives in a small envelope underneath the tree from her, too. A request for blanket turned into a full bed set from Sister, and in accompanied with a twin comforter set from Mother and Auntie, I'm well set for dorm room re-decoration and comfort. Winter will not be cold. Candies from Iris, Windows 7 from Father, and a bath set from Sister's boyfriend rounded out the presents, all perfectly suited to my needs and dreams.
Hearts were so generous this year. Small whispers of little needs are not to be heard by any but the most attentive hearts, and I must admit I had never expected so many attentive hearts so close to home. My own heart had not been so attentive, though I made a firm effort. Lately, it's been difficult to push aside the troubles of my own heart and listen to the needs of others. Tonight was a pleasant reminder.
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.
No comments:
Post a Comment