Here's how my room search has gone down:
- Move in with Uncle T and his three young children and wife.
- Realize I'll be sleeping on the floor, in the middle of the living room, on a mat.
- Realize the family doesn't go to bed until midnight.
- Realize commute requires getting up at 6am.
- Live there for 2 weeks, go to work each day sleep-deprived and grumpy, sit at a local Starbucks until 10pm each night before commuting home in order to avoid having to take care of the kids and zero privacy.
- Finally realizing that poor mental peace leads to poor quality thinking and no creativity.
- Ask for help to re-locate. Nobody comes up with anything. Uncle can't think of anybody.
- Start looking at Craigslist for a new place.
- Visit a super sketchy neighborhood to view a room. Talk to police officer afterwards about sketchiness of neighborhood. Reject.
- Visit a mildly sketchy neighborhood to view a room. Shake on it, visit the neighbors and arrange for renting furniture.
- Tell Uncle about it, and suddenly EVERYBODY PANICS and gets on his phone to reach a contact because "area is not safe".
- Sit here at work unable to work because people and their priorities and demands suck.
I understand and very much appreciate their concerns for my safety, but they should realize that this 19-year-old poor student in a strange city is not going to have connections to safe, convenient areas. I fully understand that whatever I pull up on Craigslist is going to be sketchy, and I am aware of that and have been looking at mildly sketchy places.
No comments:
Post a Comment